11 June 2007

Whirlwind Weekend In June!

Finally an excuse to go to California. Whitney, thanks for getting married.

Robyn, Joe, Parker, and I decided that we needed to go to California for Whitney's wedding, so we left last Thursday afternoon to make the drive. In the typical Johnson fashion, it was anything but uncomplicated.

Thursday, June 7

12:00 PM
I call Robyn to see what time Joe's getting off work. She says 2:30.

2:30 PM
Robyn calls to tell me that Joe is leaving the office.

3:15 PM
Robyn calls to tell me that while on the way to pick me up in Provo Joe realized that he forgot his wallet.

4:00 PM
Joe calls me to ask me if I can go buy an air freshener. Parker had thrown up on himself when they got home to get Joe's wallet. Robyn had to change Parker and give him a bath. The car still smelled a little like baby vomit.

4:30 PM
Robyn and Joe (and Parker) finally pick me up in Provo, and we get on the road with an estimated arrival time of 1:30 AM (2:30 AM Utah time).

Parker was in and out of sleep the entire drive, which also meant he was in and out of crying. Robyn was wondering if we really should have made the trip.

12:30 AM (California time)
Parker wakes up coughing and vomits again. The smell of baby vomit that I had gotten used to over the last 9 hours filled the car again.

1:30 AM
Devon greeted us in the driveway. We made it to San Diego. He was up pressing onesies!

I took this picture in the parking lot of the arboretum after the reception. Luke's eyes are so blue.
Parker was worn out after the reception, and decided that the pillow was much more comfortable than the rest of his hotel crib. I wish I had had a giant pillow to sleep on as well.
The Gadds at Whitney's reception.
Kimberly and Taylor.
Sandi Linville and me. She sat with us at the reception.
Mom, here's a picture of the centerpiece.
The boys and their matching shirts.

On Friday, Robyn, Kimberly, and I went running (our new tradition). This time we left the kids at home with Joe, so no strollers to push. It was much easier going up the hills. After we went running, we all went swimming. I saw that my hair was as big as it used to be after it dried! I had to take a picture.
That night Joe treated us all to dinner at Da Kitchen. He also treated us to a Broadway worthy Elmo performance. The kids loved it!
On Saturday after the wedding we checked in to the Newport Bay View Marriott. I had to take a picture with said bay view! Thanks, Stephanie!

On Sunday we drove home. We didn't leave until after we enjoyed the breakfast buffet that David Patten comp'd us. We got the hook ups!
Check out the rest of the photo album here.


RobynandJoe said...

It was a fun trip...I'm always sad when it's over! You forgot to mention that Joe woke up Saturday morning with a HUGE headache and spent the next half hour vomiting...he blames it on Da Kitchen, but I blame it on you, him and Devon staying up playing Trivial Pursuit until all hours of the morning...it was like a non-drinker hang over.

RobynandJoe said...

You also forgot to mention how FAST we made it home! We made it from Newport Beach to Provo in like 8 hours 45 minutes (including stops). Parker was amazingly good the WHOLE way! I had to beg Joe to stop in Beaver so I could go to the bathroom...he was a man on a mission...fighting the clock! He really wanted to make it to his parent's house for dinner. We miraculously made it! What a man won't do for food...

Diane said...

I love the blow by blow account of your trip. What a fun time! Thanks to Joe for getting you all there and home safely (despite the obvious rate of speed you must have been traveling to make it home in such a short time). Poor baby Parker!! No wonder he would cry when he woke up. I'm glad you had fun with your sisters and brothers in law. I felt really left out!! Wish you could have all been here this weekend so we could have proven we do have children. Love ya! P.S. I like the new blog look, and your picture on top in the rear view mirror.

Diane said...

Also...speaking of blue eyes...

Kimberly and Devon said...

I am still recovering from our weekend. You all wore me out and I didn't make that long drive! It was so fun to have you here and I cried when you left Saturday morning. I can't wait to see you all again in July!

Grandma Hand said...

What a typical thing for my kids to do and 8 HOURS TO DRIVE HOME. I am so glad that I didn't know about this when you were doing it. I really hope that Parker will get used to this fast pace. I am so glad to see the PICTURES OF THE EVENT. You may be in Utah or Tennessee but you can't take California out of your system. I am glad that you made the wedding. All I can say is that YOUTH IS BEAUTIFUL!!!!

Crowther said...

Aren't kids great! I guess you should feel lucky it was only the one way. Looks like you guys had a good time.