03 April 2007

Conference Weekend

It's official. I never want to drive to Conference alone again.

On Saturday afternoon at about 1:oo I gave my friend Chris a call asking him if he wanted to go to the Priesthood session of General Conference with me. I didn't have any tickets, but I figured we could go wait in the stand-by line and probably get in. Chris answered his phone, and I asked him if he wanted to go, and he said that he was already going with his dad. I hung up the phone, and then a few minutes later he called back and told me that he had an extra ticket, and that if I wanted to come I could meet them at the Conference Center at 3:30. I then heard his dad in the background saying something along the lines of how he didn't want to stand around waiting for me to show up, so I knew I had to be prompt.

I didn't really know why I had to be at the conference center two and a half hours early since we had tickets, but there wasn't time to ask, so I simply agreed, got ready, and left for Salt Lake. I got there at about 2:00, and the Saturday afternoon session was still...in session. I parked in the ZCMI Center on the sixth floor and headed over to the Conference Center.

As I walked over there, I was imagining a huge line outside with tons of men waiting to get into the Priesthood session. When I got there, I realized that the exact opposite was so. There was no one waiting to get in, and hardly even anyone at all. Worst of all, my friend and his dad weren't there either. They didn't show up for another thirty minutes.

While I waited, people kept on walking up to me, thinking that I was with security or something. They must've felt really stupid when they walked by me only to get stopped by locked doors.

When I finally got to talk to Chris and his dad, they told me how they were California time, thinking that the meeting started at 5:00 and not at 6:00. We all had a good laugh about how empty it was outside the Conference Center.

The meeting itself was great, but on my way home I forgot everything I learned as I fought traffic. It took me 45 minutes to get out of the parking structure and another 15 minutes to get to the freeway. After I got back to Provo, I decided that I did not want to go back to Salt Lake for any Sunday sessions.

I didn't bring my camera with me, so here's a picture of my birthday mocktail party at Fridays.


Kimberly and Devon said...

How stressful! I hate it when you feel like you have to hurry and be somewhere because of someone elses schedule. Did they feel bad that you had been waiting so long. Oh-well, I hope it was all worth it.

RobynandJoe said...

I told you--you should have taken TRAX! You forgot to mention that the Ensign took your picture...I hope you're in it!

Diane said...

That would be really neat if you ended up in the Ensign! You also forgot to mention your tickets came from Elder Bednar. How did Chris' dad have that connection?

Diane said...

P.S...Your mocktail party looks like it was fun. I'll have to tell Debie across the street about it since she knows we don't drink but keeps telling me I have to have just a little taste of the best blueberry wine ever!

Susie said...

Michael- I'm so excited you decided to do this too- now I can peek into your life too!! Whitney says it's like MySpace for moms- she loves to make fun of it. We were in Salt Lake for conference and went to the Sunday morning session- TRAX wasn't running so we ended up walking 4 or 5 blocks from the hotel to get there but it was well worth it.